Saturday, October 16, 2010

10-14-10

Focus Thought
Judge not whose lives are rich with joy, nor whose are dark with woe; our inner life, its hopes and fears, the world can never know. But be our burdens great or small, God’s grace shall be enough for all.  Louisa May Alcott
Stepping Out In Faith
 We have all dealt with times of struggles or when we wanted something very strongly. You may have even prayed for it earnestly, but did you honestly give it to God?
 In my case, I wanted a baby more than life itself. I knew what I wanted God to do about it, yet we struggled with much pain and loss. Countless times of tears and depression when it was evident there would be no baby, or I became aware of someone else having a child. Instead of feeling joy for them, I felt tremendous anger that it was them and not me.
 We suffered many times with miscarriages, babies born too early to survive, and failed attempts to adopt. Finally after seven years of trying we successfully adopted our first son, yet still I was plagued by emptiness deep within myself.
  At the same time, I became pregnant for the seventh time with problems arising immediately. I spent the entire pregnancy in bed and needed help to care for our son. Three weeks before I gave birth prematurely to a second son, we adopted our first son’s natural sister.
 Now we had three babies in fifteen months and still the emptiness persisted. I hadn’t filled the emptiness because I hadn’t given my desires completely to God. I was in the “I am in control” mode. The desire for another child was so strong that I lied about my past health issues to get a doctor to help. I even lied to my husband about lying to the doctors. Another miscarriage and I was warned not to try again. But I was beyond thinking clearly. I was driven by feelings, not faith. Another failed adoption and all I cared about was having a baby. When I became pregnant with twins, I thought I was finally winning the battle. When we lost both babies, a deep depression crept inside and took hold of my spirit. I couldn’t understand why God had made us suffer so much. Slowly I came to the realization that God hadn’t done it, I had.
 I hadn’t given my desires completely to God. I had tried to control everything. Proverbs 3:5 says “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.”  Notice that the verse doesn’t say trust the Lord with part of your heart. He wants us to have complete trust.  That can be a difficult lesson for one that is at times strong-willed and focused on one desire.
  Two years later I was facing surgery to remove a malignant tumor. At this time, I finally gave it all to the Lord and even admitted to Him I still had a strong desire to have another baby. I had been told it was impossible. I felt relief and not fear as we prepared for surgery. Much to the shock and surprise to all I was pregnant again with twins.
 1Cor. 2:5 states that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. I had finally grown enough in faith to totally give the situation to God. It was very difficult. The doctors were insisting on an abortion, I still had to have the surgery while pregnant; my kidney shut down, toxemia, premature labor, and complete bed rest again. We lost one of the twins. We kept the faith that the outcome was totally up to God, not us or the doctors. The world says “seeing is believing” but faith says “believing is seeing”. Our daughter is now nineteen and in college.
 I came to realize it wasn’t another baby I needed to fill my void. I needed complete faith in God and to allow Him to work through me. With God I have found strength and an awareness of who I am. I have learned personal value goes beyond motherhood and being a wife. God has given each of us unique qualities and if we release our hopes and dreams He will fill them in His time (and way), not ours. God does not use our timetable.
 All of us face times when the storms of life hit us hard. When these times come we need a firm spiritual foundation under us to help support us. Without this foundation our lives can crumble like an unprotected building in a storm.
 Often what we think we want gets tangled in the quagmire of daily living. Give it all to God; He has it sorted out already. Stepping out in faith is believing He has your best interest in mind, no matter what life or Satan throws your way.
 Faith never denies the facts. Faith recognizes God’s integrity and promises. We faced what doctors had deemed a hopeless situation. But “hopeless” is not a Christian word. Faith is absolute trust.  Great faith in our Lord requires humility, obedience, and growth. Our faith should not be measured by what we have achieved, but rather by what we are.  I thank God he has been on this journey with me, and for His amazing patience with me!
Family Focus
Some of our fondest memories are times we helped others in need.  We have volunteered together for a soup kitchen, rode in benefit bike rides, helped with fundraisers, given boxes of food and gifts anonymously, bowl-athons, etc. Consider doing volunteer work as a family for a cause that you really care about.
Week’s Verse
Psalm 37:5
Depend on the Lord, trust him, and he will take care of you.
Weekly Websites
Jennifer Rothschild is the founder of this great website.  

Weekly Recipe
Savory Spanish Rice
2 pkgs. Lipton Spanish rice mix
1 can kidney or black beans
1 can Mexican style tomatoes
2 cups water
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced (or diced cooked chicken)
1 can diced green chilies
1 cup cheddar, shredded

Brown sausage (or chicken) in large skillet. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese. Bring to boil, stirring to mix well. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Top with cheese before serving.

Weekly Book
Daily Marriage Builders for Couples by Fred and Florence Littauer  
 This book is a devotional to work through together in just ten minutes a day. You will discover new ways to laugh together while gathering tips to communicate without conflict. This is an older book but well worth looking for it.
Couple Time
Cheap Date Night! Plan a date that costs $10 or less. How much fun and how memorable can you make it?
Couple Question!
Is there an area in your life that you haven’t completely trusted God to handle?
Concerns & Celebrations
Do you have a concern or celebration to share?  Let me know and I will include it. I keep them anonymous unless you request your name be included.
Kid’s Classics
Come on readers, please send your stories!
Comments Corner
I would like us to share Christmas holiday ideas and traditions over the next few months.  Please send yours to the email listed below and I will include them!
Comments and suggestions are really welcomed here! Let me know what you think or what you would like to share!  Leave comments here or my e-mail is pavient73@comcast.net

Thank You Kaelani for all the help getting the blog working!  Love you bunches Twinkle Toes!
Have a blessed week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment